Friday, January 15, 2010

What are Magazines Coming to?



Last weekend I was at Barnes and Noble, looking around, trying to find a decent magazine to read, when I stumbled across the lastest issue of Harper's Bazaar. Staring at the cover, my mouth fell open in horror and my eyes rolled in my classic sarcastic manner. Really? Miley Cyrus on the cover of Harper's Bazaar? REALLY? (At least they made her look pretty though).




What has she done for the world? She's danced on a stripper pole for children. She has a T.V. show where she wears a supposedly convincing blonde wig. She's gotten a tattoo below her boob (yeah she says it's for a friend who died of cystic fibrosis and some relatives who died of lung cancer, but it's still below her boob). And she has a memoir out even though she's not even 18. So bascially, she's done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.




Lately, the 'zine industry has been disappointing me. Suddenly, even supposedly adult-targeted magazines now have Miley Cyrus on their covers. Elle recently featured Britney Spears of all people. Sure, ocasionally you will see someone as great as Cate Blanchett, but more and more, we see little silly "pop" stars who have done absolutely nothing and have no talent. It's sad. I guess the only magazine I'll be reading for awhile now is NYLON.

No comments:

Post a Comment